I’m off tomorrow because I needed a mental health day and because hello, summer is nearly over. Who needs 4 weeks of vacation going into winter? NOT THIS GIRL.
I texted Mark yesterday and said I feel like I haven’t TALKED to him in weeks beyond just getting from one day to the next. Business, that’s all that life seems to allow for lately! So, we made a date with a double IPA on the back porch and just…talked.
It was lovely. Also lovely? Texting him in the middle of the day about forgetting to marinade the chicken for dinner last night. He slayed it and gosh, that helped the evening move along so much.
Even still, we weren’t eating until close to 7pm. I literally have no idea how families do it. I was saying this out loud yesterday and our nanny sweetly says, “Well, most people don’t cook like you do.” She said this as I was photographing a beautiful salad with chicken skewers and I acknowledged that’s she’s correct.
Most people probably don’t also photograph their dinner meals, but hey, I do it for the blog! And truthfully, I used to do this EVERY night and now it’s 2-3 times a week, max. I swear there’s less minutes in a day. Every day, less.
As I was photographing the stunner salad, I was totally thinking, “Mark is a lucky guy, man this looks good, and I hope someday I won’t be deconstructing everything for my kids and they may actually eat and ENJOY what I make.” Last night’s salad had a lot in common with this one, including my favorite ingredient: corn! Is there anything better than summer sweet corn? Perks to living in the Midwest – it’s the best!
I am better at cooking corn than I am steak, but I gave this one a whirl. A little overdone or underdone? Probably nothing that can’t be helped out by that stunning chimichurri! There’s something about that bright green finish that is so perfectly extra and that pulls together textures and flavors so perfectly!
- 1 lb top sirloin steak
- 1 lb mini gold potatoes
- 1 lb asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 ears corn on the cob, husks not removed
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, cut into thick round slices
- 5 oz arugula or spring mix
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 cup parsley
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Remove steak from refrigeration an hour before cooking, if possible. Preheat grill to 400 degrees F.
- Place potatoes on a microwave-safe plate with 2-3 tablespoons water. Cover with cling wrap (vent to allow steam to escape) and microwave for 4-5 minutes on HIGH.
- Cut the stalk (bottom) of the corn off with a large knife, exposing the base of the cob (keep husk on). Place ears on a plate and microwave for 5 minutes on HIGH. Remove the husks and silks.
- Season the potatoes and asparagus with olive oil and half of the salt, plus pepper to taste, tossing well to coat.
- Pat steaks dry and season with remaining salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Place steak on grill, as well as the potatoes. Leave the lid of the gas grill up and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and onions, cook for 7-10 minutes, rotating all the veggies and steak (to avoid charring) often. Add the corn for a slight char in the final minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, combine all chimichurri ingredients in a mini food prep or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Remove steak and veggies from grill; allow steak to rest for 5 minutes before slicing against the grain into thin slices. When cool enough to handle, cut corn from the stalk.
- Serve grilled veggies along with tomatoes, lemon slices, and steak atop the greens on each of 4 plates. Serve with chimichurri drizzled over the top and a squeeze of lemon.
Recipe adapted from Modern Crumb
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 594Total Fat: 36.8gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 777mgCarbohydrates: 43.3gFiber: 7.0gSugar: 7.3gProtein: 32.5g
Want more show-stopper salad recipes?
- Blackened Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Citrus-Herb Dressing
- Strawberry and Avocado Chicken Salad with Crispy Fried Goat Cheese and Lemon Poppyseed Vinaigrette
- Chicken Caesar with a Twist
- Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Miso Dressing
- Crispy Italian Chicken and Bacon Salads with Tahini Pesto Dressing and Sourdough Croutons
- Kale and Brussels Sprout Ceasar Salad
- Tex-Mex Chicken Chopped Salad
- Kale Salad with Peanut Dijon Dressing