We’ve all got a hangover from the sun. It’s a toasty 90+ degrees in Michigan with plenty of humidity and after boating, tubing, and beaching all of yesterday, the girls and I are on the struggle bus today. I started the day with some productivity but it was short-lived. Since then, I’ve managed a brief playdate and an attempted nap.
Not shockingly, Shea napped like it was her job and Piper tossed and turned for 30 minutes while sucking her thumb and staring into my soul as I was trying to sleep. What is it with kids? Can’t say I hated it one bit, but no sleeping got done.
My body today just feels like a limp noodle. And it should come as no surprise that Mark has the early hockey game tonight and I’ve got the late game – 9pm start time. Monday mornings are certainly not my favorite. Not that Monday evenings are my favorite, but I did rally to whip together dinner for tomorrow night. Props, self.
I had big dreams of doing some yoga today and getting to the beach. Instead I’ve done a partial load of laundry and sent out E-vites for the girls’ joint birthday party next month. Before another 4 weeks whip by, I’ll need to get on the whole cake and goodie bag gift thing. Shea will be 7 and I’ve successfully made it this far without ever having handed out goodie bags. I can’t decide if this is #momgoals or #momfail. But this year, I aim to give out stuff that isn’t all sugar and that isn’t all junk. Parents, any advice?
As Mark was rolling his eyes at my birthday endeavors, I was sitting down to blog. Per usual, Mark was asked what recipe I’m posting. He reminded me that he was just SURE that I’ve made something just like it before. Alas, he was correct. But let me tell you, it’s well worth repeating.
This family-pleaser is my favorite kind of meal – an all-in-one meal with pasta. We pump the breaks on pasta come summer because I don’t know why, but that first bite of al dente carb after a little hiatus is nothing short of glorious. I love the tangy, full-flavored sausage with the simple flavors of tomato and basil while piling in lots of summertime zucchini. Simply perfection!
- 1 lb rigatoni
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb turkey Italian sausage (sweet or spicy), casings removed
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1½ cups dry white wine
- 4 small zucchini, cut into half-moons
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook 8-9 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. Rinse pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and crushed red pepper; cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking into large crumbles as it cooks. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, and wine, along with the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to burst, about 8-10 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender
- In the empty pot used to cook the pasta, mix together the pasta and sauce, adding ½ cup reserved pasta water; add basil and stir well. Top with Parmesan and serve immediately.
Recipe from Baker by Nature
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 14.6gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 775mgCarbohydrates: 54.9gFiber: 5.4gSugar: 9.6gProtein: 22.5g
Garden zucchini and tomatoes abound? Serve them up!
- Ground Turkey Skillet with Zucchini, Corn, Black Beans, and Tomato
- Grilled Goat Cheese-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Garlic Basil Barramundi Skillet with Tomato Butter Sauce
- Rigatoni with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Zucchini
- Cheesy BBQ Chicken Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Tomato Basil Tortellini Salad
- Best Ever Zucchini Bread
- Tex Mex Chicken and Zucchini Skillet
Weekly Menu: August 8th – 12th
- Sunday: Zucchini Enchilada Casserole
- Monday: beef tacos with salsa and guacamole
- Tuesday: burgers on the grill with Arugula Pesto Potato Salad
- Wednesday: leftovers or snacks while boating
- Thursday: Grilled Zucchini Salad with Corn and Tomatoes with grilled shrimp