I’ve seen my mom the past 3 weekends — I guess we’re making up for lost time! I went to Chicago 2 Saturdays ago when my dad was supposed to be getting out of the hospital. Since that didn’t happen that day, it was a day spent running around my home town, sitting around talking (post-shower), and then a rather productive trip to Trader Joe’s for non-perishables. Mostly wine, but whatever!
Last weekend, my mom came to Michigan because my dad was still not out of the hospital and we reunited my girls with their 1 and only cousin who is going on 1 ½ now and running all over the place! That said, my girls will probably always refer to her as “Baby Ava” just as some of my friends’ kids who are a bit older than mine refer to my girls as “Baby Shea” and “Baby Piper”. Aren’t kids the best?
With my dad finally out of the hospital, we returned to Chicago to be reunited and it turned into a backyard take-over. My aunt and uncle swung by, my brother and his family were there, my bestie and her husband and son stopped by. It feels so good to 1. be outside in beautiful weather and 2. see people!
Even better that, I no longer feel overly judged or rebellious when choosing to see people! That said, I respect everyone’s personal approach to social distancing and how and when they emerge. There are a lots of opinions out there, as well as a lot of information, and I think everyone has to make the right decision for them and their families as they redesign life. But seriously, that’s enough about that and I am by no means a source of truth when it comes to COVID-19.
When we left for Chicago yesterday, I was sure to grab a few slices of this VEGAN Peanut Butter Pie to share. My dad is the type who would reject the recipe simply because of the word vegan. Meanwhile, my best friend and her husband were happy to be my guinea pigs.
And…they thoroughly enjoyed! Mark, my coconut-hating husband, even gave it a thumbs up. I was a huge fan – the peanut butter filling is so creamy and smooth! A definite keeper, especially if you want to spoil the vegans in your life! Bonus that it’s SUPER easy to make!
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil - melted
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 1¼ cup canned coconut milk, shaken*
- ⅓ cup coconut cream*
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Optional (for serving): ½ ounce vegan chocolate (shaved) and 1 tablespoon peanut butter, microwaved for 45-60 seconds, for drizzling**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medim mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour and unsweetened cocoa powder. Pour in the melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Using your hands, "knead" the ingredients together for about a minute until the consistency is sticky.
- Transfer dough to a non-stick, 9-inch pie pan with a removable bottom. Use your hands to work dough across the bottom of the pie pan and about 1½ inches up the sides of the pan, gently pressing firm to the bottom and sides of the pie pan.
- Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, add all the peanut butter filling ingredients (peanut butter through coconut oil). Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Pour the peanut butter filling into the cooled pie crust and spread evenly the peanut butter filling onto the pie crust. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. If you choose to do so, decorate with pieces of vegan dark chocolate and drizzle of peanut butter. Store in the refrigerator.
**not accounted for in nutrition info
Recipe from The Conscious Plant Kitchen
Weekly Menu: June 7th – 12th
- Sunday: Avocado and Chipotle Shrimp Tostadas with Cilantro-Lime Crema
- Monday: Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Tuesday: Thai Green Curry Tofu
- Wednesay: turkey meatballs, spaghetti, green beans
- Thursday: grilled salmon with Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad
- Friday: date night (?!) pending a babysitter
Love peanut butter? Chocolate? Dessert? Check out these recipes, too!
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Granola Cups
- Peanut Butter Brownie Baked Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter and Honey Cookies
- Peanut Butter Yogurt Fruit Dip
- Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies